Them Thighs Though

I just read a term that is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever encountered.  “Thigh-gap prejudice.”  It’s becoming abundantly clear to me that things are quickly spiraling out of control.  I’m sort of disappointed in myself for even acknowledging “thigh-gap” as an actual thing to be addressed.

Substantive thighs look nice.

Substantive thighs look nice.

Until recently, I’d never heard reference to this space between the legs, save once when I heard it referenced as part of a slur of sorts.  If you really care about this “issue” ( I don’t) that the interweb has done it’s best to blow up with stories like this and this, please feel free to check out the amazing work to be found here and here.  Full disclosure, I only skimmed those articles, but Jen Sinkler and Melissa Harris-Perry are pretty damn fantastic so I don’t have any doubts about providing those links.

Thighs can provide padding to protect bones from bars or barbells.

Thighs can provide padding to protect bones from bars or barbells.

I haven’t read those in detail because I’m preoccupied with thinking about how awesome it is to have big, full contact thighs, and the commonly accompanying big butt.  I’m using the term “big” loosely, because who’s to say what big is? At the top of my sport I would proudly put my measurements up against anyone, so I feel qualified to speak on the matter.

Yes, that is the size of a small human waist.  Challenge.

Yes, that is the size of a small human waist. Challenge.

Let’s just say juicy, full and beautiful.  As in, not emulating the appearance of people who are suffering from lack of nutrition.  Whether begotten by God’s grace or athletic training, I really don’t care. Just the other day I was sitting on the GHD and looked down in utter awe as my thighs took up almost the entire width of the machine.  I love to dominate my space like that.  Whoever sits next to me on a plane should know, I am comparing the size of our legs, and I’m usually winning.

Loved ones can also reap the benefits that your thighs provide.

Loved ones can also reap the benefits that your thighs provide.

Anyone who’s feeling external pressure to achieve space between their legs needs to be informed, there’s a large community of people out here who appreciate healthy thigh meat not only for it’s aesthetic appeal, but indisputable utility in athletics and life.  Stay strong and keep those thighs just the way they are…or maybe bigger.

Make your thighs earn their keep.  Put them to work containing your massive lower body.

Make your tights earn their keep. Put them to work containing your massive lower body.

1. Gabriel

That Post was awesome!!!

November 17, 2013 at 6:29 pm

• Thank you Gabriel!

November 17, 2013 at 7:44 pm

• Hi Elisabeth,

I’m so happy you started out your blog! I have been admiring your strength since seeing you on the Outlaw blog. I also heard you’ve had several surgeries down on your torn ACL. I haven’t done the surgery and need to make the big decision soon, though there are a lot of pros and cons. Do you have an email or any other forms of contact? I’d really appreciate getting insight from a great CrossFit athlete who’s been through the similar things.

-Jamie

February 22, 2014 at 4:15 pm

2. Melissa

I LOVE this….LOVE IT!

November 17, 2013 at 6:58 pm

3. terry

Great thigh summary; big thighs ‘SCREAM’ solid foundation, and the aesthetic factor goes without saying (bitting my knuckles) :)

November 17, 2013 at 7:04 pm

4. Pingback: Official PR Dance…11/18/13 | CrossFit For Glory

5. Jill

“Whoever sits next to me on a plane should know, I am comparing the size of our legs, and I’m usually winning.” This quote alone just destroys everything you are trying to accomplish with this post. How about we celebrate all body types and not make it a ‘competition’, which is the entire problem in the first place when it comes to body image issues. All women have them – thigh gap or no thigh gap.

November 17, 2013 at 7:37 pm

• Jill,
      It’s a joke. Sometimes I enjoy addressing things with humor. What is it you think I’m trying to accomplish?

November 17, 2013 at 7:40 pm

• Let me revise that response-

Jill,

I appreciate your comment and I get what you’re saying. I’m not one of those “pit one body type against another” people. That’s not the point at all. This was meant to be humorous and since I am a demonstration of the body type that is being portrayed as undesirable in the types of articles I linked to, I was light heartedly showing some love and trying to demonstrate why thick thighs are not the bain of the world. I also did not want to write a serious body image blah blah blah article. Thanks again.

November 17, 2013 at 7:56 pm

• Jill

I didn’t mean to come off as a self-righteous B with my comment, and I do see where you’re coming from. Just getting a little sick of the “real women have curves” mantra since it just serves to put down all women that aren’t built that way, so maybe I read your post with a skewed lens. All good :)

November 17, 2013 at 8:02 pm

• Nay

I think it’s pretty easy to read it as a ‘my legs are better’ – that’s what I got from it. I have a thigh gap – not because I’m “suffering from lack of nutrition”, but because I have skinny legs no matter what exercises I do – I don’t think that makes me better or worse than anyone, just like your legs shouldn’t make people with skinny legs feel like there’s something wrong with them. You clarified in the comments that you mean otherwise, but your post still states people with a ‘thigh-gap’ are somehow lacking something that you possess (nutrition, attraction, ‘winning’). To say that thick legs are better than skinny legs is just as bad as saying skinny legs are better than thick legs – in trying to balance the equation, you’re perpetrating a negative dichotomy that ends up making people feel ashamed. I think it’s more positive just to say all legs (and bodies) are awesome, and people should strive for health and strength in their limbs, not a ‘look’ – of either thigh-gaps or thick thighs.

November 19, 2013 at 12:20 pm

• I appreciate your perspective Nay. The blog was meant to be funny, not insult anyone’s body type. I wanted to make light the topic. I feel like, “we’re all different and we’re all wonderful” is a given.

November 19, 2013 at 1:11 pm

6. Ian C.

Them thighs are the truth.

November 17, 2013 at 7:39 pm

• IDK if you are referring to mine or in general. If mine, thank you! If in general, indeed I agree.

November 17, 2013 at 7:45 pm

7. Nice. We just had a seminar with Coach Bob Takano and he tastefully said that if you’re training right, your Thighs/Buttocks/Lats will expand “meatily”… so don’t buy new clothes any time soon. Loved that.

November 17, 2013 at 7:41 pm

• I’ve never met Bob Takano, only seen him and I think I would also enjoy hearing that, especially from him.

November 17, 2013 at 7:42 pm

8. Thank you! Every once in a while if get caught up in that trap. Here’s to muscly thighs!

November 17, 2013 at 8:31 pm

9. Gwen

It’s not about thigh gap or no gap. It’s about being strong and healthy. What happens to your body is not up to us…..just do your thang and your body’s destiny will unfold. It’s taken me a long time to get comfortable with my body as it is at any pint in time. I don’t weigh myself or measure my body parts. It’s all about how I feel!

November 17, 2013 at 8:45 pm

10. Enid

Active all my life, I have always had “thick” thighs” I love them! I appreciate seeing a female at your level of crossfit doing your thing! Thank you for another perspective!

November 17, 2013 at 8:59 pm

11. Jen

Just fyi…the “thigh gap” is not necessarily space btwn the length of the thighs, but in fact, the little gap of space just under a woman’s hoo hoo that is most common in very fit women. When the legs r strong, the thighs tend to come together and then apart right at the top, creating a gap. This gap is what men have seemed to embrace along w the boobs, butt, legs thing, and women seem pressured to achieve. Interestingly, however, the best way to get this gap is not by starving urself, but by GETTING IN SHAPE!!! Is this such a bad thing for young girls to aspire to then???

November 17, 2013 at 9:41 pm

• Mike

Is it always necessary to blame body issues on men? I’m willing to bet a whole lot that this “problem” is perpetuated by women. At no time ever have I heard any guy talking about this.

December 3, 2013 at 2:55 pm

12. jb

Those thighs are the truth. No complaints from me. Keep doing what you’re doing. :)

November 17, 2013 at 9:46 pm

13. Marisa Watson

Stuff like this makes me so happy! Not only to promote positive body image for ALL types of bodies but to poke a bit of fun at anyone who uses the thigh gap as a scale to measure beauty or self worth. I’ve spent the last few years using crossfit to aid in my recovery from an eating disorder (one that landed me in the hospital twice) and I used to think I was fat if my thighs touched while SITTING DOWN. I was sick and had such horrible perception of my self worth and it’s sad to look back on that now. I’m happy to have gained some mass on my lower half and I’d rather be able to squat my former anorexic self than ever go back to living in that body (not like 92lbs would be a lot to squat anyway)

It was awesome meeting you at the Denver Outlaw camp and i’ve always enjoyed your blogs. Keep up the awesome work! Looking forward to watching you compete next year.

November 17, 2013 at 9:58 pm

14. cardellesk

Awww yeah thunder thigh power!! Thanks for being an inspiration and a total badass

November 17, 2013 at 11:10 pm

15. gotta have strong legs to support the big guns! just sayin, EA! :)

i consider mass as a nice bonus for physical work well done – nothing more disheartening than looking like a withering weed after carrying heavy loads in the backcountry – on the flipside, nothing more encouraging when your doc tells you your bone density and vascular health is that of a 25 year old professional athlete.

keep preaching, young gun! these younger generations need to hear more of this.

love ya, T

November 17, 2013 at 11:13 pm

16. Kat

Awww yeah thunder thighs rule!! As a 17 crossfitter with “them thighs” this is awesome, thanks for being such an inspiration and a total badass!

November 17, 2013 at 11:16 pm

17. The Thigh Gap craze is disgusting. Thick legs and big juicy butts WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER. Enough said.

November 18, 2013 at 1:40 am

18. JFM

You are right Elisabeth, this may very well be the most ridiculous thing ever. But I am sure there are people staying up late into the night trying to come up with something even more ridiculous. This is America after all.

November 18, 2013 at 6:08 am

19. Holly H.

Sometimes it’s so important to be reminded of how UN-important that “thigh-gap” really is. As someone who’s trying to lose fat, gain muscle, and just be HEALTHY, I see “thigh-gap” everywhere as “fitspo” and it’s hard to ignore sometimes. But I agree…large thighs are so much better. You can’t deny all the benefits. And those thighs contain strength and power and confidence and an ability to do things that small thighs just can’t do. I’ll take my big thighs over “thigh-gap” any day of the week. Thanks for the reminder :)

November 18, 2013 at 8:38 am

20. Sarah

I didnt think it was possible for me to admire you, your strength and your positive additude more than I already did. This just prooved me wrong. You are amazing. Thank you!

November 18, 2013 at 9:08 am

21. I absolutely love what women like you do for women like me. Forget inspiration, this about brought tears to my eyes. I love my thighs, and I kinda love you for loving yours. Thanks Elisabeth, keep inspiring. :)

November 18, 2013 at 9:20 am

22. Crys

This is hilarious. I remember my mom saying to me when I was a teenager that models have 7 (or something like that) places where there are gaps between their legs (including feet). At the time I was upset that I didn’t have all of these gaps (damn thighs) but now I take it as a compliment that my “athletic” legs required such close inspection. Hahaha. There are times that I envy women with differently shaped legs (like when I am literally stuck in a pair of popular jeans in a store change room) and there are times when I envy my own legs (like when the X-ray tech calls the whole lab over to look at my “impressive” leg muscles, yes this is also embarrassing). In the end just love your legs for what they are, whatver this may be (and the rest of you while you’re at it); celebrate your uniqueness as life would be quite boring if we were all identical.

November 18, 2013 at 10:34 am

23. Lori Wangerin

Due to genetics and an active lifestyle, I’ve always had healthy, german oak woman tree trunk thighs with absolutely no space between them! At age 57 they aren’t the most toned thighs but they are healthy! Thanks for the fun post on thigh space. PS: your Aunt Trudy has space between thighs but she is quite stick thin!!!! Always enjoy your posts but don’t always have time to comment.

November 18, 2013 at 11:20 am

24. Don Don

I think the best thing about this post is that it doesn’t give any negative attention to the opposing views (that I would consider to be rather negative). Instead, it praises the notion that you should accept yourself and relish what you have instead of letting the opinions of others shape your self-image/worth. Well done EA!

The people that are behind the idea of thigh-gap….. Are also people who profit off of the image issues that the idea of obtaining it create. If I’m selling soap, it benefits me to tell people they are not clean. If I can get them to believe it, then I’m setting myself up for success.

November 18, 2013 at 2:31 pm

25. Pingback: Article Roundup | Process

26. I grew up wanting thigh gap, and finally, I can say (at 30 and mom) that I love em. I recently started crossfit and you are my fit mom idol. Thanks for giving the [curly] girls and crossfitting moms their benchmark :)

November 18, 2013 at 8:52 pm

27. Sara Steele

Thank you for this article. It made me proud of my 25 inchers!!!

November 18, 2013 at 8:55 pm

28. Thanks for posting this! I remember reading a book in my teens, where a picture was shown of a women’s thighs with a gap in between, noting that this was the “perfect look” that every woman should aspire.
    Even though I was skinny, pretty sure that’s when my distorted self-image started to develop and struggles with weight. I am 36 now and thanks to crossfit, I’ve finally managed to be proud of my body!

November 19, 2013 at 3:09 am

29. Daniel Smith

Ok so i am a guy and really never had big legs at all. I ran CrossCountry and track in high school and college. Then i found the love of CrossFit and have been doing it for about a year. I never really had a rear end and always wanted one….I would dream about how neat it would be to fill up a pair of size 32 waist line pants. Oh how Crossfit made that a reality…..I emrace the moments when putting on a size 34 waist line pants is a fight to get over my rear. From back squating 135 to 320 and going from 32 to 34 in waist line due to my large rear and thighs. I am pretty stoked. Awesome article!!

November 19, 2013 at 8:37 am

30. I used to hate having big thighs. They’ve always been so much larger than everyone else’s. I wasn’t an athlete growing up, so I never knew anything other than to be embarrassed of them or frustrated by them because they didn’t fit into some clothes. But now I love them and thank them daily because they allow me to get from here to there, they allow me to have run the thousands of miles I’ve run, they help me squat the thousands of pounds I’ve squatted. We have a much better relationship now. Thank you for being a leader in this thigh acceptance community.

November 19, 2013 at 9:53 am

31. Pam. W.L.

I love this!! I have big thighs and butt to go along with it and now I feel like all this time I spent not appreciating it has been wasted based off of what I thought I should look like. These unrealistic people in the media, I will admit had me a coo coo but I’m coming back to myself!! Thanks for this!!

November 19, 2013 at 1:31 pm

32. Pingback: Coaching Coach On The Rebound | Warrior Girl Lifting

33. Awesome

November 20, 2013 at 8:02 am

34. Pingback: Them thighs though! | Good Life Boot Camp

35. Pingback: Lavender Blueberry Muffins | Meliks' Paleo Sweets

36. Katie

Amazing!! You rock for addressing this topic. Keep up the hard work Elizabeth you are an inspiration .

November 21, 2013 at 5:37 pm

37. Reblogged this on Monarch Athlete Performance Training and commented:
    Gotta love EA!

November 21, 2013 at 11:43 pm

38. Jessica Boyles

Oh my gosh. I love this article so much. I have always been teased about my thighs. I love them though. They are big, they are strong, and they have got me through so far. Thank you for writing about this.

November 22, 2013 at 12:27 am

39. brando johnso

sexy body on point

November 22, 2013 at 1:18 am

40. Pingback: Dem thighs though | Alamo Crossfit

41. Pingback: Fun Things To Read On A Friday

42. During the Lurong Challenge I GAINED an inch on each thigh. First thought..Hell yeah!

November 22, 2013 at 9:02 am

43. sunshineashley

Yes!! I had to change my mind about my thighs and that they are my strong base.

November 22, 2013 at 10:56 am

44. sunshineashley

I had to change my mind about how I viewed my thighs. But I am learning to love them they are my solid base.

Great post!

November 22, 2013 at 10:59 am

45. Logan J

Oh elisabeth #toofine! Little does anyone know that THEM THIGHS helped on that unbroken handstand walk on the cinch 1. Oh and thanks for making me judge everyone who I sit next to on a plane now…and forever. Keep up the badass work!!!!

Logan

November 22, 2013 at 11:31 am

• Logan J

Cinco 1*

November 22, 2013 at 11:31 am

46. This is an amazing article, Elizabeth. My wife has big thighs too- massive in fact (muscular of course). I have never been a “type” guy, (ie. blondes, brunettes, short, tall, etc.), I’ve always just liked what I’ve liked in terms of the whole package. That is, until CrossFit and meeting my wife. I still remember the first time that I ever laid eyes on her in the box. She was new to the area, and standing there with golden rays of sunshine coming through the skylight, highlighting those quads in a way that demanded my attention. I almost felt frustrated- as if I was being exposed to something that I love, but only for the first time. Like, I’ve always loved it, but just never knew. Anyway, the point is that she is often times self conscious about the way she looks, even though I think that she is the most beautiful girl in the world. I believe that everyone should just be proud of their accomplishments. If being thin and having a thigh gap is something that you treasure and have worked hard to achieve, then I will congratulate you. If having a heavy backsquat, which is usually accompanied by big legs is your thing, then congrats just as well. The biggest point though, is that there is love out there for everyone- and more than anything, TOLERANCE is key.

November 22, 2013 at 12:25 pm

47. Pingback: Hypoxia Gym » Blog Archive » Oh, those thighs

48. Suddenly LOVING my thighs and butt… thanks to you and this fine perspective.

November 22, 2013 at 9:25 pm

49. Pingback: Juicing and working out | My Frugal Life

50. Nan

Thank you, Elisabeth! I have a 13 year old 5’10 1/2″ daughter who plays volleyball and has some THIGHS! Muscular beautiful thighs with the accompanying backside! There is nothing wrong with them at all and that is what I keep reminding her. She will be reading your post for an added boost! THANK YOU!

November 24, 2013 at 6:27 am

51. barry reaves

I am sure no guy is going to go ewwwww look at those thighs!…well mabey but who cares I like them and give them two thunbs up !

November 25, 2013 at 6:24 pm

52. Pingback: Tuesday 11/26/13 - I Get It From My Mama

53. Thanks for a wonderful post. My thighs are big and strong and I love them.:)

November 29, 2013 at 10:12 pm

54. Pingback: Muscles on a Lady | November post round-up

55. My goal is to have quads so massive that their gravitational force swallows small children whole (or at least small animals).

December 2, 2013 at 5:57 pm

56. James

Girl problems, im glad I dont have them. This gap thing sounds like something created by skinny white girls with bony midsections who have trouble squatting up out of a chair. Ive never heard anything about this from my voluptuous crossfitting gf and her man crushing thighs.

December 3, 2013 at 3:05 pm

57. Heru

Elisabeth you are one of, if not thee, SEXIST woman I’ve ever laid my eyes on. From your determination on the field to your interaction as a loving mother, sister, daughter, etc. is just breathtaking! Continued success in every avenue of your life!!! Oh and yes those thighs, hips, waist, etc. are unbelievable!

December 4, 2013 at 11:26 pm

58. Love it! I am not a small girl and I get sick and tired of the ‘thigh gap’ and all that nonsense…your article is fabulous….
    I just started Crossfit a few months ago and am completely addicted to it and the confidence it gives you to be yourself and the way it makes you feel…I just wanna get fit but along the way I am really hoping for thighs of steel and a killer JLo arse! Each to their own

December 5, 2013 at 8:19 am

59. Jess

Elisabeth, you continue to inspire! You only reaffirm why the crossfit community is changing our views of strength and beauty…. destroying the cultural ideal that only skinny is beautiful or acceptable. I used to agonize that my gymnast build (strong quads included) would never morph into a waifish frame. I have never been more body confident since starting crossfit. I can appreciate now that a thinner frame may look better in skinny jeans….but I will always rock the short shorts!

December 6, 2013 at 1:29 am

60. Pingback: Changing the way women talk….to themselves (+Sunday Short-term goals) » My journey to the Crossfit Open 2014 » Covered in Chalk

61. Pingback: Would you buy your child a Crossfit Barbie? » My journey to the Crossfit Open 2014 » Covered in Chalk

62. Pingback: Finding Beauty in Strength | Girl Meets CrossFit

63. Donita

I know I’m late but this is one of the best post’s by only the best female cf competitor EVER!

January 9, 2014 at 3:49 pm

64. DR214

Great post! What exercises and healthy supplements would you recommended to increase the the size of the legs and butt?

January 15, 2014 at 4:30 pm

65. Melissa

Elisabeth I really appreciated this article. Mainly being because we’re pretty much twins in this category. I’m half Brazilian and sometimes feel a bit lop sided because my lower half has always been thick. I’m a strong girl but it is sometimes very easy to compare my massive thighs and butt to those of smaller athletes. On my journey to simply “getting leaner” not necessarily loosing weight, I’ve had to take into consideration I will never be a skinny girl and that’s okay. And no shame at all to the skinny people, pull-ups are way easier for you than they are for me, with all that lower half slowing me down haha. Just wanted to say thank you for the article. :)

February 4, 2014 at 1:27 pm

66. Pingback: Four Digital Trends Redefining Fitness in 2014 | Man Health

67. Pingback: Four Digital Trends Redefining Fitness in 2014 | Fitness Seed

68. stacie

This was funny. My 19yr old daughter is part of the “thick thigh club” and I, a part of the “thigh gap” club. She’s always teasing me about my thigh gap….gotta say, her legs are amazing, and I just seem scrawny! I gave birth to this girl who has her daddy’s build, we both crossfit, and we both look amazing in our own bodies! #thighgaplife!

February 9, 2014 at 4:13 pm

69. Carolina

This is spot on! As the owner of a pair of 23″ thighs myself , I have to admit that I wasn’t alway excited about them. Actually, there was a time when I absolutely hated them! When I started Crossfit 2 years ago is when I finally realized “hey these things are awesome! And powerful!”

February 17, 2014 at 7:13 am

70. I’m not going to lie to you. I wanted a thigh gap. I think it’s because everywhere I looked, I saw pictures of thin thighs. No one had thick, curvy, powerful thighs like mine, so I felt like they were a liability. Over time, I realized that in real life, I probably will never have thin thighs and they will probably always touch because of genetics. I accepted them for what they were. Now, I’ve even moved past acceptance and I play them up, wearing high waisted jeans and short skirts…Thigh Power! :)

April 21, 2014 at 9:55 pm

71. Pingback: I like THICK THIGHS and I can not lie! | Vikera's Mind Maze

72. tamara

Thank you for writing this! I think what the women who felt you were putting their body types down failed to remember was that there are countless articles praising the “gap” and telling women that the “gap” is what they desire. These articles not only put us (meaning women without the “gap) down but teach young girls that women with out the “gap” are inferior. Our media continues to promote being skinny and thin instead of strong and healthy. I read articles that tell me that my 24 inch thighs are unhealthy and not sexy. Finally, I find an article, that happens to be written by my favorite athlete, that says otherwise. I personally love my “meaty” thighs. But not every woman does.

All that to say, it angers me when I see someone projects negativity on one of few articles that tells women to love what you have! Not every article you read is going to tell you that your body type is amazing. Trust me, I know. But that doesn’t mean you have to comment on how you did not agree or how you think the writer is wrong. My mom told me “if you don’t have something nice to say, then shut up!”

May 7, 2014 at 2:50 pm

73. Pingback: But We Will Stay

74. Avy

How crazy is it that I saw a photo you posted in a more recent post and said to my friend (who is also tall and “thick” like me), “Notice how her thighs touch,” because we believe in supporting a No Thigh Gap Zone way of life.

For reference, my friend is 5’10” and I’m 6ft. We are muscular and meaty by nature. Even now, as I describe myself as fathletic, I am a big girl trying to lose a substantial amount of weight with no intention of being skinny and having a thigh gap. It looks great on the women whose bodies are designed to more easily have that (ie fit and healthily thin). I say everyone should be accepting of the different types that are out there, whether they find them attractive or not. Having that said, being an fit amazon type is more of a goal to me than being thigh-gap-thin ever could be. So high five to you celebrating thick, muscular, FIT thighs. People should learn that fit ≠ small. Fit has many variations.

June 23, 2014 at 12:13 pm

75. Andrea

Amen sister! I love being called “quadzilla”…strong is sexy and healthy!

June 25, 2014 at 3:54 pm

76. Pingback: Health at any size? Yeah… Nah… – xhelensarahx | www.xhelensarahx.com